Pages

Wednesday, 2 July 2014

2014 Alphabet Challenge

As well as reading 52 books this year, which is an average of one per week, I decided to also try to read at least one book for each letter of the alphabet. For this to work, the title needs to start with the letter of the alphabet and being me, I didn't want to use the second word, where the first word was the or a. Daft, I know, but there you have it.

Luckily, I am English, so there are only 26 letters in the alphabet and that is less than my target anyway, so I decided to combine the two challenges!

I haven't read the books in the right order (maybe next year)... but I thought that I would list the books here, that I have covered so far;

A - Annabelle, by MC Beaton
B - Blood, Sweat and Tea, by Tom Reynolds
C - Chasing Azrael, by Hazel Butler
D - Dominion, by CJ Sansom
E - e. by Matt Beaumont
F - Fleshmarket Close, by Ian Rankin
G - Good Omens, by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett
H - 
I - Intractable Heart, by Judith Arnopp

I know, considering that this is week 27, and I have read 25 books, but only 7 of them fit into my alphabet challenge, I think that it is safe to say, that I have fallen behind!

Luckily, there are 25 weeks left. I only have 2 books to catch up to the 52 book challenge target, but I only need 19 more to finish the alphabet challenge... so. I still have a chance.

I am now, utterly determined to finish Her Privates We, by Frederic Manning, which I got part way through and then sort of... well, left. Mainly, because it is 'H', which would fill in my gap! But also, because I should really finish it.


In other news, last weekend was a busy one!

Walking club, on Saturday, saw us walk 8 miles from the Boat Museum in Ellesmere Port, along the canal towpath to Chester!

I got a blister on the, not completely healed yet, site of the blister I got when we walked the Wirral way, but we managed it!
 It rained to start with, but we had rain gear. By rain gear, Linda had cleverly procured ponchos which had hums built into the back to cover our backpacks (which this time was a proper, grown up one, not one borrowed from Itsy), came down to below the knee to prevent soggy trouser and had hoods.

We found a lovely pub, just over bridge 136 at Stoak, it was called the Bunbury Arms, so we were Bunburyists... (note, that's a joke based on the Importance of Being Ernest, by Oscar Wilde). The pub is lovely, and if you are in the area, go and check it out, good food, good service, reasonably priced, and serves alcohol... pretty much everything we were looking for!
We saw lots of wildlife on our walk... I took many photos, I have only posted a few.









After, that, we found a pub in Chester, and then it was home for bed. Sunday, saw Itsy on a day trip with Rainbows. We had lunch with Grandma, did the shop, and then went to collect Itsy, before tea, bath and bedtime, at which point, I went to book club!

This month's group read is called Dark Side of the River, and is written by a local author, Brian Formby. There will, due to many, many commitments, be no meeting in July. So we will meet again in August to discuss the book, and possibly watch the Book Thief, which is out on dvd later this month! 

Still not moved house... trust me, you will know when I have... but there has been a little movement on that front this week. Fingers crossed, this is the week that we get it all sorted! Then I can retrieve all of my stored belongings from storage, and catch up on some stitching! The closest I have come recently, is sewing badges on Itsy's Rainbow's uniform!!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment