Pages

Wednesday, 22 October 2014

Unpacking

We're almost there. Almost. The boxes are no longer stacked three high and three deep in the living room. In fact, there are none left in the living room, only 3 still in the hall, with 2 in the bedroom and 12 in the office.

I know, I know, 12 sounds like a lot, but it isn't, not really. And besides which, most of the 12 is either ornaments or books, neither of which have anywhere to go just now because we have run out of bookshelf space at the moment.

I know, it sounds silly, but you see, we didn't just put our belongings in storage to move house, we put a lot of our things, especially books and ornaments, into storage in order to 'stage' our house while we tried to sell it. (This involved de-cluttering and neutralising our house, I will do a separate blog post about that though.) Alas, this fabulous concept was successful in so far as it got us a sale... sadly, we continued to buy things, mainly books, but some new ornaments (especially candle holders) too. It wasn't until we'd got most of the way through unpacking that we fully realised the downfall of this.

Luckily, we have managed to buy a few new bookcases. So far, one each in my office and beloved's man-cave, one in the dining room and one more to be collected on Saturday. I have been informed (by beloved) that there will be no more bookcases and he will be instigated a "one-in-one-out" policy going forwards, before we end up on one of those 'hoarders' programmes on telly.

I didn't like to tell him that I have at least 3 books (due to be released tomorrow) on pre-order, and as I am going to the HWA festival at Harrogate this weekend (only for one day, sadly, but next year...) that I intend to get these books signed and they will be "keepers" thereafter. Also, if the Crime Writers festival earlier in the year is to be a yardstick, even just for one day, the chances are, I will come home with more books than I take with me!

We'll see how I get on anyway. I am gutted that I can only go on Friday this year, I desperately wanted to see both Ben Kane and Giles Kristian (Sat and Sun), also Robert Low (Sun) who was so utterly lovely the first time I met him. However, I am just grateful that I am going at all, as I managed to do my back in (again) this week, and I wasn't sure that I'd be able to go at all. Luckily, my lovely Dr let me have a new prescription for painkillers (as I'd used up the last lot) and I have purchased a tens machine (I used to have a disposable one, which finally gave out on me and the pads are non-replaceable). I have also been really good about keeping moving, not sitting still and letting it seize up again. It's very tiring keeping walking round the house when you are struggling to stand upright, but as sitting down was causing immense pain, I managed, and I'm very glad I did as this is the quickest that my back has ever recovered (only one day off work ill - was 4 weeks the first time it happened).

Anyway, I'm off to round up the books I want to take to Harrogate on Friday, and to do the excersizes off the physiotherapist so that my back doesn't go again!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment