Pages

Tuesday, 28 April 2015

Week 16

On Monday, in the interests of science (and speed after working late), I attempted a microwave dinner (Beloved and Itsy were out for tea, so I was on my own), including a microwavable cake recipe which I have seen posted online a few times.


Firstly, I lined up the ingredients:
  • 1/3 cup self raising flour
  • 1tbsp coco-powder (I used posh hot chocolate instead, don't do this, it didn't work)
  • 1 pinch salt
  • 1 + 1/2 tbsp brown sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 2 tbsp milk
  • 1 tbsp melted butter
  • 1/4 tsp vanilla essence
Then, I followed the instructions;
  • sieve dry ingredients together
  • beat egg, then add (and beat) milk, butter and vanilla
  • add wet ingredients to dry and beat with fork
  • place mix into a 500ml capacity cup (I didn't have one that big, so I split it into two mugs - this may have been my downfall)
  • microwave on high power for 70-90 seconds.

This is what they looked like after... I'll be honest, they didn't taste as disgusting as they looked, but they certainly weren't "nice", by any stretch of the word. (I did save one for Beloved, he didn't like it either!)

I am pleased to report that the rest of my microwavable meal (a pre-prepared ready meal of cottage pie with sweet potato mash) was much, much nicer, even if I did mess up getting it out of the plastic tray!


Thursday was St George's Day, Shakespeare's Birthday and obviously World Book Night! I was lucky enough to be a volunteer, giving away free copies of When God was a Rabbit, by Sarah Winmore. Luckily, my bad head cleared up, and although it was a quiet night, with most of the books being given out over the weekend, I was still honoured to be able to give books to people who don't usually read for pleasure.
The book is about a young girl, Elly, who is growing up in the 1970s. It focuses on her relationships, first, with her elderly neighbour, Mr Golan, with whom her relationship takes a sinister turn. When her brother, Joe finds out, he gifts Elly a rabbit. Elly has one other friend, Jenny Penny, with whom she loses touch when her parents decide to open a bed and breakfast in Cornwall. As an adult, she renews contact with Jenny Penny, by correspondence. The book has some dark themes, but for the most part, these incidents are intimated rather than detailed in a graphic fashion, which I appreciated. It's a very different book from my usual tastes, but I really enjoyed it.

On Friday, which is usually family film night at home, instead of watching a dvd at home, we went to the cinema to see Home. When the Boov come to Earth to escape the Gorg, they relocate the humans to a single location (in Australia), and settle in. One Boov, called Oh (because that's what people always say when they meet him) accidentally emails an invitation to a party, with directions on, to the entire universe, including, the Gorg! Whilst he is on the run, he meets Tip, a young girl who was separated from her Mother during the relocation and learns about being human, rather than Boov, and helps her on her quest to find her Mother. It was animated, very sweet, and funny, and we (Beloved and I) enjoyed it as much as daughter did!

On Saturday, I travelled to Wrexham to the Romans to Redcoats event at Glyndwr University. It wasn't until we arrived that we discovered that it was the last day of a 3 day carnival of writing! I am now on the mailing list, so I'll know about the rest of the events in advance next time!

At the event, there were a number of panel discussions, a Skype session with Patricia Bracewell, who was in California, and a book stall, and signings.

Amongst other fabulous authors were Manda Scott, Robert Low, James Aitcheson and Helen Hollick. Right at the start of the event, the authors were piped in by a medieval band!



Beloved, however, spent his Saturday at a karate course, he said it was a great course, but he took rather a nasty fall during it. He carried on, and it wasn't until I got home (a few hours after him, after he'd had a bath) he realised just how badly injured he was, and then Saturday evening was spent at A&E! He has possibly broken, fractured or sprained his scaphoid? It's at the base of the thumb/wrist, and the xrays were inconclusive, so he has to go back to the fracture clinic for a check up after the bank holiday weekend. For now, he has a metal brace/support to wear, and it's somewhat swollen. It only hurts when he twists or tries to bear weight with his hand, so it's not too bad!

Finally, on Sunday, after another cinema trip to see the new Avengers movie, (which we all enjoyed), I played host to this months book club meeting.

The book to have read was Wyrd Sisters, by Terry Pratchett. It wasn't as popular as I expected. Personally, I loved it. I have read it before, but in case you haven't, it's the sixth Discworld novel, and it satirises Shakespeare (especially MacBeth) and some of the more famous fairy tales. It's a funny and cleverly written book, in my opinion.

Next month's book is Sea Witch, by Helen Hollick!

I also discovered that one of the other members of BookClub is also the liaison for the local branch of the Clandestine Cake Club, so I have agreed to go along to that later in the month!

And after such a busy week, I am pleased to say that this week should be much quieter, with some time spent in the garden this coming weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment