Pages

Friday, 14 April 2017

#LittleLoves - 3

Joining up with Coffee, Work, Sleep, Repeat for another week of #LittleLoves;

Little Loves Coffee Work Sleep Repeat











I finished Arrows of Fury (4/5) which did have a very satisfying, if somewhat grisly, conclusion. I am looking forward to seeing how Marcus' story continues, but I have a few others to get through first!

I also finished A Long Way Down, by Nick Hornby. 3/5.

This is written in first person, and the point of view switches regularly between the four protagonists. It's well written, it's easy to read, and although it's a departure from my preferred genres, I did mostly enjoy it, however, being the sucker for a happy ending that I am, I was a bit disappointed by the ending, which I found somewhat lacklustre, however, it is worth saying, by comparison to how it could have turned out, it was almost upbeat!

I don't want to put people off, so do bear in mind this book took me out of my comfort genres!


and then I read A Meditation on Murder, by Robert Thorogood. 4/5

This is a novel version of an episode of the tv series A Death in Paradise, which I enjoy watching, so I was predisposed to enjoy this one, and I did. It's set in an earlier series, with Camille, Richard, and Fidel, rather than Humphrey or Jack and Florence and JP. It follows the same formula as the show, and is well written (by the show's writer). In this 'episode', the victim is a spiritual guru at a retreat on the paradise-island of Saint-Marie, who was stabbed to death inside a locked room, with four other people, one of whom is standing over the body, holding a bloodstained knife and confessing to the frenzied attack... so obviously, Richard doesn't believe she did it. The denouement tied up all of the loose ends and the narrative had plenty of suspense, action and twists throughout.

And finally, an audiobook; 40 Minute Spanish. 4/5

The Spanish speaker repeats everything twice, speaks slowly and clearly, and the English speaker  also speaks clearly. I was brushing up rather than learning for the first time, but in my opinion, this would be easy enough for someone who has never learned any Spanish before to pick up, and the selection of words was ample for use in the resort.

However, since I rated this one, there was the whole spraining of the ankle thing, and I do wish I'd either taken my trusty old phrasebook, or gone with something more comprehensive. So that's something to bear in mind.





My friend and I have been to the Manford's Comedy Club shows before, and you can always tell when there's a big name visiting, because we're in the main theatre, rather than the smaller room.

This month we saw Jason Cook, who we last saw supporting Jason Manford himself at the Comedy Club last December, and he remembered the unruly (and drunken) heckler, who, luckily, was either not in attendance, or was sober! Jason interacts with the audience, and isn't always complimentary, but he is funny. I almost had a sore throat from laughing!

Justin Moorhouse also performed, he was less than complimentary about Runcorn, however, he was even less complimentary about both Warrington and himself, as well as being somewhat accurate. He got a huge round of applause for his observations about Northern women, and although he made some political jokes (which can often go either way) he successfully had the whole audience in peals of laughter.

Jason Cook did short mini-sets between each of the other performances, and then Ciamh McDonnell was next. From a description of being mugged in London, which had the room in fits, to misjudging the room with a comment about scousers (which he rescued quickly) and then talking about race (which sounds dodgy, but it worked).

Another quick introduction from Jason lead into Sarah Millican. Here, the night took a slightly awkward turn, when the lady behind me, trying to be funny, shouted Wye-aye, in quite possibly the worst faux-Geordie accent I have ever heard, and Sarah Millican heard, but looked directly at me, as though she thought I had shouted out (which I really hadn't), I could have died of shame, and wanted to do nothing more than stand up and say "it wasn't me!!", but I didn't. Sadly, the lady behind me bottled it and didn't repeat herself either, so the awkwardness lingered somewhat, however, the routine was funny, covering subjects from periods and sanitary wear, to IBS, 'lady time' and rude shop assistants. I know they don't sound funny as a list, but it worked.





The Archers! I'm an omnibus listener, so I only catch up on Sundays, and the last I heard was at the end of last Sunday's omnibus when a voice said "Hello puss'cat. Did you miss me?" Regardless of Lilian's feelings, I can see Justin being entirely outraged by Matt's return, and Justin doesn't seem to be a man to stand idly by and do nothing. And Pip! I can't believe she hasn't 'fessed up yet. She really will have to, it'll be far worse coming from Ed Grundy, who is not in the best of humours just now thanks to Emma's new, third job!

The Archers, for anyone who doesn't know, is a radio soap on Radio 4. It's in episodes of around 10-15 minutes every evening except Saturday, and the omnibus edition is broadcast for just over an hour on a Sunday morning around 11am. It's set in a village called Ambridge and most people are farmers, or connected to farming. It is everything you expect of a soap, just without pictures. And of course, it has that famous theme tune!







This fetching bandage!

Obviously, doing my ankle and foot in isn't really a little love, however, I have much to be thankful for. Beloved and LittleBit looked after me, the taxi drivers were both very kind, and the medical centre staff were super-fast, very effecient and did do a good job of bandaging me up.

I also had this view while I rested and kept my leg elevated in the hotel room, come on, that's definitely better than the view at home.
The view from the bed while I kept my ankle elevated

No comments:

Post a Comment